Gifts are messages from the giver to the receiver. We attempt to communicate feelings such as love, care, concern, and the desire to elicit joy through our gift-giving. We never want someone to feel overwhelmed or guilty when they receive a gift from our hands. And yet, as a receiver, I have felt quite the opposite of the giver’s intentions….even when I KNOW the giver had GREAT intentions.
In our consumer-driving society, accumulation is happiness. It makes us feel good to give stuff! And it makes us feel extra good to get stuff. It’s not enough to have one, we must have two. And it’s not enough to get only the things we need, we also desire to get our wants. However, this stuff can come back to haunt us in space wasting, energy sapping, and time consuming ways.
So how can we best communicate our love for others and elicit those joyous giggles without adding to our already packed homes? Think experiences, not items. The time spent together, sharing and building memories, is worth more than any toy or gadget. You’ll be investing in the “gift” that you’ll be able to treasure for a lifetime. Additionally, research has shown that giving the gift of time together reduces stress and strengthens relationships.
Whether you’re shopping for a short activity or one that lasts all year long, check out these experiences right here in Greenville, SC!
Zoos & Animal Parks
Sporting Events & Activities
- Bon Secours Wellness Arena* (variety of events including Swamp Rabbits)
- Gravitopia (trampoline)
- Greenville Drive* (baseball)
- Greenville Rec Pavilion Bounce House*
- Greenville Rec Waterparks
- Golden Lanes & Golden Skates (bowling & roller skating)
- Ice On Main (ice skating)
- Mountain Goat Indoor Rock Climbing
- Palmetto State Armory (firing range)
- Roller Sports (roller skating)
- Skateland (roller skating)
- Sky Zone* (trampoline)
- Sky Diving Greenville
- Swamp Rabbits (hockey)
Health & Wellness
- Airborne Athletics* (gymnastics for kids)
- Bermuda Triangle Scuba
- Bricks 4 Kidz (lego construction for kids)
- Cakes By U (cake decorating for kids & adults)
- Charleston Cooks (cooking)
- Creating Artists for Tomorrow
- Fred Astaire Dance Studio
- Greenville Aviation*
- Greenville Hurricanes (sports, including archery)
- Kroc Center (sports)
- Lifesavers of America (CPR)
- NoteAbility* (music)
- Plate 108 (cooking for kids & adults)
- Sew Creative* (sewing)
- Sylvan (robotics & coding for kids)
- Whispering Pines (horseback riding)
- Woodcraft (woodworking)
- YMCA (sports)
Donations Made in a Recipient’s Name
Still Not Sure?
- Something to Read
- Something they Need
- Something to Wear
- Something they Want
There are hundreds of other activities that you can do as a family, such as hiking or serving at a soup kitchen, that were not mentioned in this list.